In order to ensure the space is a safe and fun space to train in it is important that everybody takes responsibility.
To keep you safe:
• Ensure any accidents or incidents are reported to Reception at the first opportunity.
• If you have an accident you may be required to complete an accident report.
• If someone bleeds on the equipment it will need to be cleaned and possibly quarantined. Please avoid working with cut hands or blisters so we can avoid quarantine. Plasters and tape is available at Reception.
• Ice packs and first aid are located in Reception. There are also emergency first aid kits in the space – these are only to be used if no first aider is present.
• There must be at least 2 people in the training space if aerial work is taking place.
• Up Side Down Circus reserves the right to exclude participants who appear to have been drinking or under the influence of recreational drugs. This is a health and safety issue. Where this happens, no refund will be given.
• We reserve the rights to exclude participants who break the code of conduct or behave in a dangerous manner.
What to Wear
Make sure you wear suitable clothing – comfortable and flexible. Most people choose to wear leggings, shorts and a t-shirt. Tracksuit bottoms with a t-shirt – either fitted or one you can tuck in are ideal. Some people choose to wear a leotard/unitard underneath – this provides extra padding. Combat trousers, baggy clothes, shorts or trousers with pockets on the side of the leg are not suitable.
Jeans are only to be work for Chinese Pole.
Outdoor footwear is not permitted in the training space, and most activities are barefoot. However a clean pair of indoor trainers/dance shoes can be worn inside for some activites.
It is also important that there is no jewellery in the space – including body piercings. Please remove these before commencing activites.
Physical Suitability Statement
We believe circus should be accessible to all ages and abilities.
Ground based skills may be a good starting point for circus training and will ease you in to training. Aerial skills will build your upper body strength and is a more challenging skill. Flying trapeze will require you to be able to hold your body weight and also has size restrictions.
Please talk to Reception or a manager if you have concerns.
Before you start training you will need to complete the Emergency Contact Form and Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q). You only need to do this on your first visit but you should keep reception informed of any changes – including if you are pregnant (or suspect you are).
All information is confidential.
All classes are bookable on a first come first served basis and are bookable via reception or our website www.upsidedowncircus.co.uk. Unfortunately, there are limited numbers of each class in order to keep the classes safe. If there is clearly enough demand for a class we will consider timetabling additional classes. We will also keep a waiting list and notify you as soon as classes become available. The current timetable is available online.
Concession rates are available on all adult classes (excluding masterclasses unless stated otherwise and providing proof of concession is shown during booking), and apply to the following:
• Current students (full and part-time)
• Over 60s
• Current recipients of unemployment benefits (eg. JSA and/or Housing benefit), Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payments, Carer’s Allowance, or Working Tax Credits.
Drop-ins to a class is allowed at Reception’s discretion based on the following:
• You must be levelled and at the ability of the class
• You must pay at the drop in class rate
• That the class is not fully subscribed (it may be worth pre-calling to check and book)
• That it suits the class – occasionally they could be working on a project and drop-ins would be an inconvenience
In consideration of the services of Up Side Down Circus, their agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as ‘Up Side Down Circus CIC’), I hereby agree to release, indemnify, and discharge Up Side Down Circus CIC, on behalf of myself, my spouse, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
I acknowledge that my participation in circus arts, aerial arts, aerial silks, flexibility, strengthening, fortitude training, aerial yoga, yoga, pilates, floor based or airborne acrobatic training, jumping, trampoline activities, handstands, hand balance, contortion and all prop-based/flow art skill manipulations (ie. staff/poi/diablo/hula hoop and similar) instruction activities and aerial disciplines (including but not limited to; Trapeze, Lyra/Aerial Hoop, Corde Lisse/Aerial Rope, Flying trapeze, Aerial Hammock, Silks, Chinese pole), entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardising the essential qualities of the activity.
The risks include, among other things: slips and falls; falling from equipment; rope burns; pinches, scrapes, twists and jolts that could result in scratches, bruises, sprains, lacerations, fractures, concussions, or even more severe life threatening hazards; strains, cuts, bruises, muscle soreness and fractures; musculoskeletal injuries including head, neck, and back; injuries to internal organs; the negligence of other people; the user's own physical condition; and the risk of emotional and psychological injuries or physical damage associated with this activity.
In any event, if you or your child is injured, any medical assistance will be at your own expense.
Furthermore, Up Side Down Circus CIC employees have difficult jobs to perform.
· They seek safety, but they are not infallible.
· They seek to know you but might be unaware of a participant's fitness or abilities.
· They might misjudge environmental conditions.
· They may give incomplete warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction.
By purchasing any of our Up Side Down Circus CIC classes, courses or workshops, you immediately agree to the following terms:
1. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
2. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Up Side Down Circus CIC from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity or my use Up Side Down Circus CIC’s equipment or facilities, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of Up Side Down Circus CIC.
3. Should Up Side Down Circus CIC or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have. As a training centre, Up Side Down Circus CIC holds insurance with Equity and Hiscox. Meanwhile, all teachers are insured for Public Liability. However, this does not hold the school accountable or liable for any acts of negligence, indecent behaviour or non compliance from clients in association with the teachers and against compliance of the school rules and waiver.
4. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining document shall remain in full force and effect.
5. By accepting the terms of this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against Up Side Down Circus CIC on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood it, and I agree to be bound by its terms.
Unit 2 Cave Venture Workshops
Tremorfa Industrial Estate